Tuesday, May 23, 2006

People who’ve been dumped like to pick fights; or, BSC #34: Mary Anne and Too Many Boys

This is one of those books with the really obvious ties between the cover and the title; there are seven boys (only two of them not sitting charges) with Stacey and Mary Anne on the beach. Yep, TOOOOOOO MAAAAANNNNY BBBBOOOOYYYYS!

So, this is the second trip that Mary Anne and Stacey take to Sea City as mother’s helpers for the Pikes. Sounds like a fun vacation, baby-sitting for too many chilluns. But there’s CONFLICT on top of all the regular sitting duties. Oh, yes. Conflict.

1. Vanessa, who’s 9, like the boy at the Ice Cream Palace, who’s 12. So, she leaves him poems as a secret admirer. But he thinks it’s Mallory who likes him, and he likes her (yeah, right. Wooing boys while whining like a little baby). When lil’ Sylvia Plath finds out he thinks Mal is the admirer, she overcomes her broken heart to send a final poem without revealing her identity. Funniest part: Mary Anne actually thinks for a few minutes that a 12-year-old would like a 9-year-old. [oops. Before my auto-format fixed it, I accidentally wrote lick instead of like. Eeeew.]

2. Toby and Alex are back! Who are they? Oh, yeah, they’re the guys that Stacey and Mary Anne were into the last time they were in Sea City. A year ago. They like hung out a couple of times. So, Stacey thinks that her thing with Toby is more important than Mary Anne’s, cause Stacey’s never done a nice thing in her life…Seriously, why are they all friends with Stacey? She’s bitchy to all of them, totally blows them off for boys, thinks her shit’s more important. And anytime she does anything mildly nice, she rubs it in their faces. Whatever, bitch. Then Stacey gets dumped (Hah! Comeuppance!). And turns into a mega bitch. Surprising, that.

3. Mary Anne feels torn between Alex and Logan. She likes Alex, but she feels guilty, cause she’ll love Logan forever…or something. And after she has a great date (CHEATER!) with Alex, she’s all do I love Alex? Or do I love Logan? Seriously. But then they tell each other about the significant others, and have a fine old time…they’re FRIENDS! Ah, no one ever sat down with Mary Anne and told her that it’s not love unless you want to make out, not just hang out. But everything’s okay in the end.

4. Um. That’s pretty much it. Oooooh. Conflict.

Yeah, so I sometimes forget that ANM, in her attempts to make Mary Anne come off as sensitive, naïve and quiet, turns her into a 50-year-old woman. Boring, lame and prissy.

Oh, and the single funniest part of the whole book? Dawn’s flying to Cali for a few weeks, and her traveling clothes consist of, I shit you not, “a beautiful Laura Ashely dress and she had swept her long blonde hair back in pearl barrettes.” Um, this doesn’t sound very California casual to me. More like New England stuffy to me, and I’m from New England. Why not slap her in a pair of Tevas and some Eddie Bauer or Talbots if you really want to make the whole Cali thing completely implausible. Aside from which, who travels like that. Jeans, sneakers, hoodie. Those are traveling clothes, especially for a cross country flight.


This is what something like what she might have worn. Casual. (Borrowed from http://www.dltap.ca/pages/50215en.htm)

14 comments:

kristen said...

Though I totally don't remember Stacey getting dumped, I DO remember Dawn's travelling costume. Sadly, I think upon reading that I immediately changed my opinion of Laura Ashley from "flowery crap mom tries to make me wear/decorate our house with" to "high fashion of mature young teens who get to fly cross country alone." Ann M. Martin, ruining little girls' fashion sense for 20 years.

Miss Scarlet said...

I hate how Mary Anne says she'll "love" Logan forever. There should be a "BSC: All Grown-Up" move made where she's knocked up by someone else.

Library Lady said...

Oo oo oo! This is one of the best ones! I love how fugly they all are on the cover--Mary Anne and her huge sun hat (lame-o) and red-headed Alex all slick with his "hey Mary Anne, you're oversized tunic really turns me on" shifty eyes!

Oh man. Too funny.

Steffi said...

they were always so caught up with Laura Ashley stuff in the BSC books, ever notice that?

PoBaL said...

I'd liek my "Lak Munster" tshirt soon, please.
Seriously, this is too good an idea to pass up!

Sara said...

Is it just me, or is the BSC kinda like the characters on "Friends"? They each have one stunningly annoying trait that prevents you from enjoying them...

But if you morphed them all together into one super-person, you might actually hang out with that person?

rachel said...

i don't think i ever read this one...my mother probably thought it was too racy for me. i mean, too many boys. but for some reason i feel like the BSC went to fire island. or maybe that was some other series.

Adri said...

Stacey went to Fire Island in #76 Stacey's Lie. Yes, it's a bad sign that I know this off the top of my head. Fire Island is also the setting of two of Ann's non-BSC books.

Anonymous said...

I, too, remember Dawn's traveling outfit! Only, I remember thinking that it was very classy and elegant sounding. Of course, your nice example of what that dress may have looked like makes me see that I was wrong.

I just have to add that I love your blog- it totally brings me back to my childhood- and can I request for you to read the one where Kirsty's mom and Watson gets married (I forgot the title)? That was the first one I ever read, and I still remember how Andrew says in the beginning, "oh, yick yick yick. Poo poo poo. One sister's enough, now I'll have too." (Some random things just stick with you...)

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, that Laura Ashley dress? Was totally on the cover of a BSC book. I think it may be #30...

Daina said...

I have always associated Laura Ashley with BSC, to this day when I come across a Laura Ashley style dress in a thrift store my first though is Babysitter's Club

Amanda said...

I remember in the 80s when I would travel cross country (my parents divorced in 1987) my mom always made me wear a dress. I didn't start wearing jeans and other comfortable clothes on planes until high school. So Dawn wearing a fugly Laura Ashley dress like that is totally plausible to me.

Anonymous said...

Did Ann ever really live in NYC? I can't picture that. If she's still there today, she's probably walking around in a Laura Ashley dress with a sailor collar and white tights, or a Planet Hollywood t-shirt and scrunchie for errands.

Julie Fedele F said...

Yes I'm pretty sure that dress looks like the Laura A dress MaryAnne wears on the cover of the one wear her dad and dawns mum get married. I wanted that dress so bad!